Monday, September 17, 2012


So they tell me I'm not a real American because I don't like sweet drinks.  They are pretty sure that we all guzzle giant polar pops all day.  The sugary beverages they offer me at every meal aren't soda, however.  Edith and Nico have a huge collection of flavored syrups; they have mixed berry, lemon, grapefruit, strawberry, etc.  Today I tried the violet (as in the flower) flavor:


It was still a little sweet for my taste, but it was a cool thing to try.  Like drinking a flower.  But anyway, today was pretty chill.  Edith and Nico went to work around ten or eleven, and I hung around the house and went for a walk through the town.  I found the cemetery, which is gorgeous:

It was really big for such a small town.  Many of the people buried there were born in the 1800's, and multiple generations are all buried together.  I was surprised by how elaborately decorated most of the graves were.  Almost all of them look like they are visited regularly.


But after that adventure, I just came back to the house and read for a while.  Something a little strange: they leave all their doors wide open while they're home, because it's a crazy safe area, I guess (like I imagine Canada to be, lol).  I'm used to always having the doors closed and locked when I'm home alone.  While my hosts were at work, I left one door open, but it still made me nervous.  Sitting outside was nice and tranquil, though.  They have an outdoor living room:
I sat on the couch and read the Screwtape Letters in the afternoon.  It wasn't a terribly eventful day, but after the constant business and socializing from the last few days, I'll admit that the quiet time was welcome.  
And this is not related to anything, but I just want to say that their bathroom is 100% adorable.  I'm jealous of the pretty tiles.

Until tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment