Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Aix-en-Provence and Aperatifs

It was a busy day and tomorrow has an early start, so this shall be brief.

Today we went to a street market and bought some delicious chicken and freshly-grown produce, and then we made a lovely lunch of it before heading out to Aix-en-Provence for a few hours.  We enjoyed a brief teatime, which I spent gazing at all the lovely shops on the main road of the town.  Aix seems like a great place to go clothes shopping if you're into that.

Alas, I was not able to peek into the shops, because we had to go help Gui clean out his mother's garage.  It was pretty chilly, but there was pile of burning evergreen branches to keep warm with.  It was very fragrant.

After a long drive home in French rush hour, we went over to the home of the Repettos' friends and had drinks and little finger foods, called aparatifs.  The conversation was quite interesting, which I can finally say with certainty because I'm getting so much better at understanding French, and everyone in the room spoke at least a little English.  My comprehension is actually pretty great when people speak slowly.  My problem now is translating French to English in my head fast enough to keep up with the rapid pace of normal conversation.  I just might get there before I come home, though!

Time for sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment