Thursday, November 1, 2012

Mini Doughnuts and Other Things

We went to the French equivalent of a Crate and Barrel today, and it was divine. I bought a Christmas ornament shaped like a cupcake and some other things to be distributed as gifts during the holiday season.  I'm probably the most annoying customer ever in places like this.  A collection of mostly impractical things ends up in the basket, among which are items like fragile glass mushrooms and a giant ceramic teapot, neither of which travel well.  Before getting to the checkout, I inevitably have second thoughts, forget where I got the things from, and leave them scattered haphazardly throughout the store.  Oh well.  I figure I've still got karma left over from putting away merchandise abandoned at the Menards checkouts.  

Anyway, I now wish to share with you the French idea of a chocolate chip cookie:


That is not a cookie.  That is a scone.

But whatever.  This evening for dinner, I decided to make dessert.  Mini donuts again! The last ones turned out a little odd-- salty for no discernible reason and rather porous.  The ones tonight turned out delightfully.  Dense, moist, and beautiful.  


For these I made a honey infused sugar glaze.


And these I topped with chocolate and cinnamon, to make them a little more autumn appropriate.  Though there were only five of us at table, all the donuts were devoured during tea time, but for a single sugar glaze one which everyone was too polite to take.  

Tomorrow I will make one last American dinner for Edith and Nico.  I'm thinking meatloaf or deep dish pizza, but it depends on what I can fricking find at the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment