Thursday, November 8, 2012

French Toilets

A word about toilets.

Really the only thing I want to talk about today is the European bathroom.  It's true that I'm a bit overly germ-cautious sometimes, but I really like the idea of the toilet being separate from the bathtub and whatnot. In France, and in all of Europe, really, the toilet is in one room, and the bathtub and sink are in another.  Paranoid though I may be, I really enjoy not having to visualize a mist of toilet water on the shower curtain, the shampoo bottles, and on my toothbrush.

I do, however, think it's super weird to use the toilet and then go to the kitchen to wash my hands.  Sometimes the room with the bathtub (salle de bain) is too far away from the toilet to be practical.  I also think the flushing mechanisms are strange.  The first day I got to France, I had to spend five minutes trying to figure out how to flush the dang toilet, because there was something on the top that looked like a button, yet it was impossible to push.  Eventually I tried pulling it up, and that did the trick.  Definitely not intuitive for me, though.

But in other news, we rode bikes to the lake and fed the swans baguette pieces.  It was charming and lovely, and afterward we went to a mall and bought clothes.  We were going to go bowling after dinner, but then we all felt lazy, so that's an adventure for next week.

Tomorrow we go to the discotheque!

No comments:

Post a Comment