Sunday, November 11, 2012

Cathedrals in Marseilles

Today a friend of the Repettos picked me up to go to mass in Marseilles.  We had to leave far in advance of the service, because Marseille is a bit of a drive and seats fill up quickly, but it was worth it.




Absolutely majestic.  The ceiling was unbelievably high, and the stained glass was positively marvelous.  The organ echoed off all the walls, creating music that was almost overpowering.  It was probably the coolest mass I've ever been to.

After that, Emmeline asked if I wanted to go to the highest point in Marseille to survey the city.  Of course I said yes.


Sea, mountains, and rolling hills of darling red-roofed houses.  Can southern France get more iconic?


Yes.  Look at the sailboats.  Can you see the sailboats???  We were really far away, but my main goal with this picture was to capture Chateau d'If, made famous by the Count of Monte Cristo.  It's that little island that is almost in the very middle of the photo.  I want to go there so bad!!  I'm mostly interested in the graffiti that is doubtless there.  Prison graffiti is the best.


While we were up there I saw some dudes playing soccer.  Hello little multicolored ants!


There's also another church on the top of this mountain.  It's got an interesting, circus-y color scheme going on.  I like the boats hanging from the ceiling.  This church was said to protect the fishermen of Marseilles.  It's a really sweet idea, I think, because when you're up on this mountain, you can see miles and miles of the Mediterranean, and all the little boats.  

It was a truly lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment