Sunday, October 28, 2012

Hippie Cafe

I'm completely exhausted, so this will be quick.

Today Edith and I went clothes shopping in Marseille, which was pretty sweet.  After, she had to go cut a client's hair, so she dropped me off at a cafe and told me to go inside for two hours.  She told me it was a "surprise."  Honestly, I was kind of sketched out by that description.  I thought for sure it was going to be some sort of burlesque show.

When I walked inside, the man asked me if I'd been there before, and when I said no, he told me to take my shoes off and put them on the shelf, and then head on down the hallway.  The hallway and beyond had a sand floor.  It was hippy-tastic, but also really cool.  Everyone sits on cushions and the tables are just three inch tall wooden platforms.  I got a pot of African tea and a citrus cake, and I cracked open my kindle and read until Edith returned.

After she picked me up, we headed to one of her friends' birthday parties.  It was positively lovely.  There were several people who spoke English (one of the perks of being in a main city), so I had the pleasure of several pleasant conversations.  There was even an ex-American who grew up in Boston.  He told me how he met God on the Paris subway one day in 1987, and after that he never dreamed of going home again.

Throughout the party there was a lot of singing, and after the cake was cut, there was dancing.  Real dancing.  Though I have no dancing skills, when some of the party goers pulled me out onto the dance floor, I had a wonderful time, because if the man knows how to dance, the woman can pretend she knows how to dance.  There was lots of swirling and dipping and all that fun stuff.

Today is Nico's birthday!  His LMFAO-themed party is next weekend, but today is his little gathering for family and older friends who aren't "Sorry for Party Rockin'."

No comments:

Post a Comment