Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Place I Always Return To: Le Moulin de Daudet

My imagination keeps drawing me back into the woods.  I've written two entries about going there, but I've actually been there about a dozen times.  Today I took my notebook in there and climbed up the crumbling stairs to find a spot to write.  There was a very nice circular view of the sky.


Couldn't get low enough to capture the whole circle in one frame-- sorry.  The clouds kind of looked like smoke swirling overhead.


I'm calling this "Rapunzel's Window."  It doesn't look very big from this vantage point, but I sat there to do my writing.  It's all the way at the top of the little tower.  After scribbling a bit, I took the time to really study the rest of the ruins.  There's lots of graffiti in there.


Cossettini, how long did you sit there carving that into the wall?  Did you come here to hang out in your free time, like me?  I guess in 1920 you didn't have video games or television to distract you.  I wonder if this was your haven.


I did not notice this curious graffito until today.  It appears to be a strange wicked thing with melting black eyes.  He stands on the seventh step, and next to his head is what appears to be a page of writing.  I sat there looking at him for a long time, wondering what his story was, and why someone would paint him there. He seems like a villain's assistant.  


This is the actual door of the windmill (you might remember that I enter through a narrow crack in the wall, because the door is walled shut).  It seems like the door was covered quite hastily and with whatever rocks happened to be lying around.  I love that one little gap in the masonry, though.  The perfect size for passing letters through, if one found himself imprisoned here, but too small to even hold a visitor's hand through.

But later, on my way home, I noticed that the door to the church was open, so I stopped in.  All the lights were off, and the only light was coming from these candles and a few very small windows.


I was also the only one in there, so it was a peaceful yet ominous scene to encounter.

Then I went home and chilled with Haribo.  Haribo keeps trying to eat his bandaids off, so he had to be given a sort of bandaid waistcoat.


He is not a fan and refuses to do anything but squirm on the floor while wearing it, but eventually he just decided to take a nap.  I was cool with that, because he's been really bitey lately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment